Morocco is on its way to becoming an energy exporter following the success of Sound Energy, a gas exploration company in the UK

Sound Energy revela la existencia de depósitos de gas que harían de Marruecos miembro del Club de Productores

PHOTO/ARCHIVO - Instalación gasista

Morocco is seeking to diversify its energy mix and reduce its dependence on energy imports. The project can have a positive impact on the environment, as natural gas production is less polluting than energy production from fossil fuels such as coal. Graham Lyon, CEO of Sound Energy confirmed in an interview with the Petroleum Economist website, which specialises in energy economics, that "there are two key projects being studied and implemented, one of which relates to the supply of liquefied natural gas to major industrial markets, while the other involves the development of a pipeline to supply gas to electricity markets". 

Graham noted that "the first project will provide around 100 million cubic metres per year of LNG to industrial markets, with the aim of starting production and sales in the first quarter of 2024," explaining that Morocco has more than 20 trillion cubic feet of natural gas reserves, which is a record. "Morocco has a wealth of natural gas reserves, and this will help it achieve self-sufficiency and even move to exporting gas to international markets," noted Graham Lyon. "Although Morocco is still reliant on coal as a source of electricity, and this is not stopping it from moving ahead with projects to switch to clean, low-carbon energy sources."


The CEO stressed that "the Moroccan Tendara field will play a key role in achieving the Maghreb's goals, as the country aims to expand international markets and transactions," he expanded. Sound Energy currently manages three regions in the east of the Kingdom, with 47.5% of the capital invested in the east, compared to 27.5% for Schlumberger and 25% for the state-owned National Office of Hydrocarbons and Mines (ONHYM). In these new projects, the British company will operate and hold a 60% stake in the project, while ONHYM will hold the remaining 40%.  

Graham also noted that Morocco had previously lost gas flows from Algeria in November 2021; given that it is the country's main source of imported gas, the British giant's discovery in Morocco following a diplomatic crisis between the two countries is seen as a real game changer, bringing the kingdoms to the forefront and generating local wealth and even exports to them. According to a statement from the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Environment, Morocco has developed a three-stage national roadmap for the development of natural gas from 2021 to 2050 for the purposes of the national energy strategy to define market structures and players. stimulate the gradual development of demand, develop infrastructure, access to competitive energy resources, increase the competitiveness of industrial exporters and develop other industry management measures.


Driss Elfina, an economic analyst and professor at the National Institute of Statistics and Applied Economics, told Al-Arab that Morocco is seeking to cooperate with the British Company for the Development of Liquefied Gas and has developed a special strategy in this regard that allows the identification of imports and storage ports such as Nador and Safi. Morocco will be able to reduce imports of gas used in electricity by up to 30 per cent, which means it will gain around 800 million dirhams, about $83 million. Morocco is also interested in renewable energy, taking advantage of levels of sunlight and wind that are among the highest of any country in the world.